If you are tired of the increasing price of potatoes and are looking for a way which would enable you to use the vegetable within your budget, you should read the guide introduced by Anastasia on Diet of Life, which illustrates how you can grow pounds of potatoes in a barrel.
Potatoes are one of the most popular plant foods and are quite beneficial from a health point of view. People tend to use them in a variety of recipes. However, sometimes, the issue of budget or purchasing the vegetable again and again can be troublesome. If this is what has been worrying you, you will be pleased to know that you can now grow the vegetable on your own with a lot of ease.
This step-by-step guide ensures that you can grow the vegetable with ease and it does not take up a lot of your time. This will prove to be an economical option as well.
Here is how she did it:
1. Select and prepare a container
2. Choose the variety and plant the potatoes
3. Add more soil as the sprouts grow
4. Harvest the potatoes
Other tips to grow bushels of barrel potatoes:
- After the first harvest, keep a few potatoes to reuse as seed potatoes next year.
- Bush beans are a great companion plant for potatoes.
- Instead of using soil, try growing potatoes in sawdust.
- Fertilize with 10-20-20 fertilizer at planting and a couple of times during the season.
- Water so that the plants are kept at an even level of moisture.
- Experiment with different containers, seed potatoes and watering regimes.